If your parent or grandparent is getting older and showing signs of Alzheimer’s disease, it is important to get your loved one the care he or she needs right away. One way to do this is to help your loved one move into an assisted living facility and Alzheimer's care center like San Clemente Villas By The Sea. These Alzheimer’s questions can also help you during this time:
- What is Alzheimer’s disease? This disease affects the brain and its regular functions. Alzheimer’s disease is a common form of dementia. Disorders that fall under the category of dementia typically impact memory, thinking, and other mental functions over time. Eventually, symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease can disable sufferers from completing everyday tasks.
- How common is Alzheimer’s disease? Millions of Americans suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. This illness typically affects people in their 60s or older, though it is not actually a normal part of getting older. The latest studies show that approximately one out of every eight American seniors is affected by Alzheimer’s disease.
- What are some of the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease? Common signs of Alzheimer’s disease include problems with memory, especially newly-formed memories. Those who suffer may also show confusion, disorientation, and difficulty completing basic tasks.
- What causes Alzheimer’s disease? The exact cause of this disease remains unknown, but medical experts have found that there are a few factors that can increase a person’s risk for developing it. Factors such as heart disease, Down’s syndrome, and a family history of the disease may put a person at a higher risk for developing Alzheimer’s.
- Is there a cure? There is currently no cure for Alzheimer’s disease. But proper treatment and care can help those who suffer lead healthier, safer, and more fulfilling lives. Various medications can be used to reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s. Assisted living facilities can provide the care and support needed to live with the disease.
You can learn more about assisted living and Alzheimer’s care from the team here at San Clemente Villas By The Sea. Visit our website or call us at (949) 485-4028 for more information.